How to Stop Dogs Barking
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown"
Hello Fellow Dog Lovers!
Welcome to the March 2009 issue of The Dog Scoop Newsletter - The ezine your dog knows has his best interests at heart and wants you to read.
Tell a Friend
Enjoying this newsletter? Great! Forward it on to your other dog lover friends! They can sign up for it
Do you have a dog question or an answer to one that is posted on our interactive Q&A page. Help and be helped or Ask the Expert.
- 1. Rescue a Puppy
- Holiday Safety
- 2. What's new
- 3. Dog Fact and Quotes
- 4. Featured Product Review
- 5. Recipe
Rescue a Puppy
Many people become interested in buying a new puppy this time of the year. If you are considering a dog for Christmas, have a look at your local animal shelter. There are so many "hopeful" dogs there confined to a pen. Their chances of finding a home before Christmas are slim. They may in fact not live to see Christmas. My heart goes out to them. Please consider adopting one.
I have received many letters from people that have adopted shelter dogs and most say these dogs have so much love to give - I really believe they know they have been saved.
If you have the patience and love to give a shelter dog a home, I know you'll get back more than you give.
There are many more dangers for our furry friends during the festive season. Care needs to be taken to lessen the risk of injury to your doggy and making your home pet safe. Here are
a few reminders for your consideration...
Dog Safety tips for the Holidays
1) Pets like to chew on the Christmas tree if given the chance; keep it secure to avoid accidents. Tree ornaments can be tempting for a dog but if ingested, items such as tinsel, broken glass, ribbons, bows and wrapping paper can be a definite choking danger.
2) Electrical Light cords should be taped to the floor or wall to ensure no tripping or chewing. Additionally, spray with a chew deterrent.
3) Dogs are attracted to light and with fireplaces going and lit candles all about; we need to be vigilant about the hot wax and sparks with our pets around. Keep lit candles out of reach.
Holiday Safety - Plants and Products to Watch for...
1) Snow Globes - many contain harmful antifreeze.
2) Artificial Snow is a toxin.
3) Poinsettias and holly make great Christmas decorations but if your dog should decide they look like a tasty morsels, it could cause stomach problems or eye and mouth irritation.
4) Yew is extremely toxic, one mouthful could be deadly.
5) Ingesting Mistletoe could bring about vomiting, swelling of the throat and mouth and a drop in blood pressure.
6) A small amount of antifreeze could be fatal, quickly remove any spills.
Safe Toys for Your Dog
Dogs love to play with toys particularly chew toys. Some dogs will chew them to the point of destruction. Many of these toys are made from de-isononyl phthalate (DINP) which if ingested by pets, tests results have shown, liver and kidney damage and in some cases cancer. (DINP) is used to make hard PVC plastic flexible and soft. A better and safer alternative when shopping for chew toys are the ones made of latex or rubber. They are also more environmentally friendly.
Safe Holiday Food
Choose healthy dog treats during the holidays and give them in moderation. Be aware that chocolate and macadamia nuts are both toxic to your pet.
The best gift that you can give your four legged friend is some relaxed quality time, that will get the big bark of approval. With holiday safety in mind have a wonderful festive season!
Do you need gift ideas?...
Dog Lovers Gift
Dog Rules for Christmas
1) Watch your tail when near the tree.
- Be especially patient with your humans during this time. They may appear more stressed out than usual and they will appreciate kisses and snuggles.
- They may bring home large parcels called gifts. Do not assume they are all yours.
- Be tolerant if your humans put decorations on you, they seem to get some special kind of pleasure from this.
- They will bring a tree into the house and cover it with lights and decorations, it is an important human ritual, there are some things you need to know:
2) Don't drink out of glasses put within your reach.
3) Tolerate children.
4) Turn on your charm big time.
5) A man in a red suit with a white beard and a big laugh may emerge in the middle of the night from the fireplace, DON'T BITE HIM!!
6) No eating off the buffet table.
7) Don't pee on the tree.
8) No chewing on the cord running from the tree to the hole in the wall.
9) Beg for goodies subtly.
10) Be nice,even if strangers sit on your sofa.
FEATURE PRODUCT REVIEW
PEDIPAWS PET NAIL TRIMMER AS SEEN ON TV!
I would recommend this product for sure. However, I must say that if you own a large dog this may not be for you even though it is advertised for dogs of any size. Their nails are harder then smaller dogs and you may be disappointed. For small and medium dogs they are great.
PediPaws™ is the revolutionary nail trimmer for your dog.
It gently and painlessly files your dog's nails leaving them trim, rounded and smooth. Say goodbye to scratched furniture and floors forever! The fast, easy, way to trim your best friend's nails and leaves no mess.
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp dried veggie flakes or 1 cup pureed carrots or peas
1/2 cup water (approx)
Mix dry ingredients. Beat sugar, egg and oil and stir in flour mixture. Add veggies. Gradually add water to make a stiff dough. Knead on floured board until dough is smooth. Roll out to 1/2" thickness and cut in your favorite shapes. Bake at 350 for 30 min. or until lightly browned. Makes about 24 dog biscuits.
If you have a story to tell or a pic to share please use this
or if you have any comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear from you, use our
For your convenience, we have a helpful
on our website to help you find all the goodies for your furry friend.
DESIGNER DOG CARRIERS ON SALE!
No wallet. No wait. No worries. Bill me later
- GREAT SHOPPING FOR DOG LOVERS GIFTS!
- ASK ABOUT THEIR 120% PRICE GUARANTEE!
- SHOP AND PAMPER YOUR DOG AT THIS CHIC UPSCALE PET BOUTIQUE.
Argyle Cashmere Dog Sweaters Only Available At SnootyPets.com