|Back to Back Issues Page|
Hi Dog Scoop Newsletter-Woof, Woof
December 12, 2009
The Dog Scoop December Issue - Woof Woof!
"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." ~ Josh Billings
Tell a Friend
Enjoying this newsletter? Great! Forward it on to your other dog lover friends! They can sign up for it
Season Greetings Fellow Dog Lovers,
Welcome to the December 2009 Issue of The Dog Scoop Newsletter - The ezine your dog knows has his best interests at heart and wants you to read., and Happy Holidays to all from dog-beds-n-beyond.
'Tis the Season - Xmas Gift Ideas for your Dog and Holiday Dog Safey
During the holidays, there are usually more sweets and other goodies around to nibble on. Our pets like us to share with them, but this isn't always a good idea. Avoid too many table scraps and give your dog healthy treats over the holidays, everything in moderation.
Just a reminder that chocolate and dogs do not go together. Chocolate contains theobromine which comes from the same family as caffeine. Some dogs are highly sensitive to it. If your dog manages to steal a small piece of chocolate it will most likely not have an adverse effect but in large amounts it can be toxic. Symptoms of toxic reaction include increased heart rate, hyper-excitability, vomiting and diarrhea - in which case call your vet.
Just to keep things in perspective, my toy poodle once consumed an entire box of chocolates on a raid of the Christmas tree during the night. She had nothing worse than a little diarrhea.
Keep macadamia nuts out of reach of your dog, they are toxic to canines.
Grapes and Raisins - the APCC found that dogs who consumed these in "small or large" amounts developed kidney failure. Symptoms are abdominal pain, diarrhea, lethargic and lack of appetite. If you suspect your pet has ingested a grape/grapes, treatment is needed immediately.
Another seasonal hazard is anti-freeze, which can be deadly for dogs. It has a sweet taste that can be appealing for a dog to lap up. Quickly wipe up spills on the driveway or try to find a pet friendly alternative to antifreeze.
Other toxic items to watch for - some snow globes contain antifreeze, artificial snow, Poinsettias, holly, Yew and Mistletoe.
Why Dogs are Man's Best Friend…
1. A dog's parents will never visit you.
2. A dog loves you when you leave your clothes on the floor.
3. A dog limits its time in the bathroom to a quick drink.
4. A dog never expects you to telephone.
5. A dog will not get mad at you if you forget his/her birthday.
6. A dog does not care about the previous dogs in your life.
7. A dog does not get mad at you if you pet another dog.
8. The later you are, the happier a dog is to see you.
There are numerous useful, practical gifts you can purchase for your dog at Christmas.
If your dog's bed is worn out, this would be a good time to buy him a new one. Choose the BEST DOG BED for your pet.
You could buy a new Your dog might not consider these ideal gifts but if you include a favorite treat inside the package you will for sure get a tail wag.
Stock up on your dog's favorite treats as a Christmas gift or buy a special food item you seldom purchase but you know your best buddy likes.
Games to Play With Your Dog Over the Holidays
Find the Treat
Put your dog on a "down" stay then hide a variety of treats. Have your dog wait until you are finished hiding them. Say "GO!" and your dog can run around and try to find the treats.
Hide and Seek
Put your dog on a sit or down wait. Then hide. When you are ready, call him. Watch out they sometimes peek.
As well as being fun for you and your dog, these games are good for teaching your pet to wait until called.
You Are a Dog Lover When…
1. your neighbors find ANY dog running loose and automatically bring it to your house. 2. you want to watch TV and you have to sit on the floor because all of the furniture is "occupied". 3. you have to run an obstacle course to get to the phone. 4. your hungry hubby once ate the dog stew and asked for seconds.
5. your mother-in-law keeps asking when you're going to have children.
6. your hungry hubby comes home from work, lifts the cover of a pan on the stove and says "Is this people or dog food?"
7. you absentmindly pat your husband on the head instead of hugging him.
8. all your non-dog friends know to dress down when visiting your house.
9. you call long distance and talk with your dog.
10.dog hair in food is just another spice.
11.you are cold, you put a sweater on your dog.
12.your voice is recognized by your vet's receptionist
Gifts Under $10.00s
Natural Dental Care Kit for Dogs - $6.99
Dental care is just as important for dogs as it is for humans. Dry food and chew toys help clean some of a pet's teeth...